First Week in Uganda

Hello family and friends! I cant believe tomorrow will make a week since I departed for Uganda😀 It feels like I have been here for a few weeks already lol I thought I would have posted something by now but with the 7 hour time difference and 13 hour work days, I am still trying to get my body on a schedule!

There has been so much that I have experienced so far, so I am just going to break each section down and give a few highlights! 

Packing:

My plan was to pack everything 2 weeks before I departed so that I wouldn't be up all night the night before and of course that didn't happen 😔 Wound up packing all night and only had 2 hours of sleep. People kept asking me how do you pack for 3 months? I had no idea but I managed to pack everything while eliminating some things. I packed a suitcase for clothes and then a dedicated "Walmart" suitcase (I call it) with basically everything from foil to cutlery. 

Departure:

I guess since I was so excited and had so much planned the last 2 weeks in America I didn't have time to process that I would be leaving everything and everybody I know for 3 months. Taking the biggest leap of faith in my life so far not knowing exactly what will happen. So at the airport as I hugged my parents that is when the tears came. I know they were not tears of sadness but they lasted the whole first flight.

Flight:

The plane ride was great! I took Qatar and the 19 hours went by fast! The food was delicious and entertainment was enjoyable. I even made the 45 minute layover with time to spare and so did all of my luggage!

Arrival in Uganda

The plane arrived in Uganda on Wednesday the 28th of June around 1:30pm. It was much easier to get in the country then I thought. Mainly because the workers at the airport thought I was coming "home" lol. There was a Watoto representative waiting for me after I cleared immigration.When he saw my luggage he was in shock lol  But everything fit in the car!! It was a beautiful day when I arrived and school children were walking home. I didn't realize that Uganda was such a mountainous country. So many hills and beautiful! 

I met with Brian from Watoto the day after I arrived, for my orientation. He went through the history and mission/vision of Watoto. It is amazing to hear all that they are doing to spread the Gospel and equip people!!

Grocery Shopping:

So I have already been to the market 3 times since I have been in Uganda and I am going again tomorrow lol Watoto provides lunch for us on the days that we work (rice, vegetables, meat, etc.) and I bought breakfast from the states so I just had to get dinner food. Well the 1st 2 trips were very interesting because I had no idea what to get and each Watoto representative that I went with were guys. So me reading everything and trying to make a decision of which brand to buy and how much it was in USD was rather challenging because they were ready to leave! I wound up getting pasta and rice (which I learned from the other volunteers that I will be eating a lot of during my time here). Two things that blew my mind though was that they don't refrigerate their butter or eggs but I bought it and I am still alive and healthy!! It does make me wonder who is correct?💁🏽

Accommodations:

They have us in the capital at a hotel but when I arrived the rooms were all filled so once again I was roomed by myself. I was like lord here we go again but then I went into the common area and met the girls, I didn't feel so bad about it anymore. I actually like having my own room now! The hotel is decent and has free wifi which is a plus!!

Volunteers

I definitely prayed about this before I left because they have a strict policy of always having a buddy. That's why I was praying for a roommate but God answers and I met these 2 sisters from Australia who have already been to 4 other countries in Africa to visit their sponsor children and experience the culture. Another new girl from the U.K. came in the day after me and we clicked as well! Their are also volunteers from the states, New Zealand, Canada and Hong Kong at the present moment. I am loving meeting people from other countries and hearing and seeing our differences and similarities. Also their testimonies of how Gd led them to Watoto are amazing as well!

Church:

Watoto is a church with 12 "celebration points" throughout Uganda and Sudan and has an average attendance of 28,000 people each weekend!! Our 1st experience was Friday for their Worship service and when i say that service was excellent that is an understatement. It was 2 hours filled with praise, songs and prayer. I was definitely reassured that this is where God has me and to continue to trust Him in everything! The church is also 80% young adults which completely reminded me of my church back home and the service as well are very similar but the people of Uganda are on another level for God. Its so contagious! 

We also went to church on Sunday at the baby home and we were able to take a baby with us to service. It was great seeing their faces light up during praise and worship and to know that they are experiencing God at such a young age even if they cannot comprehend it.  

Baby Homes:

Last but definitely no least let me share my experience so far with the babies! So we have to get the hotel shuttle to the church at 6:30am then another shuttle takes us to the baby home about an hour away depending on traffic. I have been to the baby village 3 times so far and each time has been a different experience!  The baby village  is set on a hill and the view is breathtaking. Such a great reminder that no matter each babies beginning God ordained them to be born on this earth for such a time as this and He has great things in store for them!

There are 5 different rooms (newborns, non walkers, walkers, small toddlers and big toddlers). I am placed in the small toddlers room my 1st 2 weeks and all 20 of them are so precious but have so much energy. My heart just melts when they run over to you and give you big hugs😊 There are 5 nannies in my room and they each have 4 children that they raise until they transition to their families (will explain more in depth at a later time lol). So when we 1st arrive they are having their breakfast and the volunteers make their beds and do the dishes. Then we play with them until our morning break. After our break we feed the children fruit and on some days a few children who are transitioning out of the baby homes go to the villages for "bonding time" with their new mommies and brothers/sisters. In the afternoon we wake them up from their nap and feed them some more fruit and then go to the community room, where all the children come together and play. 

This is definitely my favorite time because I get to mingle and meet all the different children! During this time I find myself drawn to the non walking babies and just confirms that is my heart's calling. It's a joy to be able to pray freely over them and let them know that God has a purpose and a plan for them!!

I know this was long but prayfully this answers many of your questions that you might have about my experience so far!

Thank you so much for your continual prayers, encouragement and motivation.

I know God is in control and doing a mighty work and I am so humbled and honored to be a part of it!!

Until next time! Peace and ❤️

Jasmine Jackson 
Isaiah 6:8

P.S. Pictures will come when the wifi is stronger!!

Comments

  1. Awesome testimony! God is truly working in your life and you are going to impact someone else who God may be calling to take a leap of faith and follow Him. It may not be to the mission field, but somewhere else doing something else and you have given them the courage to be obedient and follow God's leading.

    Love you to life. Keep your hand in God's hand and you will never go astray.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Faith